Saturday, August 2, 2014

Ranking the RB Handcuffs

Rob Krattiger of Sports Porch and I got into a little discussion about the most valuable running back handcuffs on Reddit this evening.  Here's where I place them.

Terrance West

MyRank RB38, ADP RB35 (7.11) (-3) - Not sure West counts as a true "handcuff", as most people expect him to be the starter for at least some point. I'm a little lower on him than consensus, so he probably won't be on a lot of my teams unless he slips a little.
.

Ahmad Bradshaw

MyRank RB42, ADP RB51 (12.10) (+9) - I'm higher on Bradshaw by the exact amount I am lower on TRich, whos middling play last year made Donald Brown look like a star. Unlike West who you have to take in the 7th, I can easily snag Bradshaw in the 12th round, a huge steal for me.
.

Carlos Hyde

MyRank RB42, ADP RB46 (10.08) (+4) - Hyde has a clear path to backup RB duties for the run-heavy 49ers, who have one of the oldest worhorse backs in the NFL. We've been saying this for a while, but Frank Gore won't be around forever. Hyde is a must-stash in the tenth for the Gore owner.
.

Devonta Freeman

MyRank RB45 ADP RB45 (10.02) (0) - Unlike Hyde, Freeman runs behind a much more injury prone back in Steven Jackson, who is already nursing a hammy and will likely miss the pre-season. Freeman has an excellent shot at starting this year. My concern here is that the Falcons might use their smaller backs Freeman (5'8'/206) and incumbent Jacquizz Rodgers (5'6'/196) in a timeshare should Jackson (6'2'/240) miss serious time. If you want Freeman on your team, you'll need to take him in the 9th, which seems a shade pricey to me.
.

Christine Michael

MyRank RB48, ADP RB44 (10.01) *(-3) - Between Hyde, Freeman and Michael, I actually have Michael ranked the lowest, mostly because I like the chances of the other two starting more than I like the chances of Beast Mode (who is still only 28) actually going down. That said, Michael is a must-own for the Lynch owner, and will cost you your 9th round pick.
.

Lance Dunbar

MyRank RB49, ADP RB56 (13.11) (+7) - DeMarco Murray has missed 16 games in the last 3 years, so opportunity seems likely. The Cowboys seem set to run the ball more behind an improved offensive line, which also bodes well. Dunbar has been impressing in camp, and makes a great depth add at a bargain basement 13th round cost.
.

Bernard Pierce

MyRank RB50, ADP RB36 (8.06) (-14) - Yeah... I'm not high on Pierce, in large part because in relief of Rice last year he was actually worse than Ray! The suspension of the Ravens' main back is also only 2 games, so I'm not confident in the workload. Also, with these types of deep-RB picks I like to target players who might "pop". Pierce is not that player. We've seen him. He fizzled.

No comments:

Post a Comment